Skip directly to content

2. Moenswijk

2. Moenswijk

By that time Moenswijk was the closest house to the south outskirts of the city. Around gedung Tabungan Pos (BTN) and CPM Dormitory Jaga Monyet or monkey (now Suryopranoto street) there is a checkpoint or a small fort Rijs-wijk. It was called Monkey because the area outside the fort like Harmony, Petojo and others still marshy dense forest.

Moenswijk derived from the name of its first owner, Adriaan Moens, a wealthy VOC Directeur Generaal. Unfortunately we know not much about the history of the house and the land area of 22,000 square meters. The deed of sale-purchasing only tell the transfer to the hands of others. Its history as a residence was apparently ended in 1816, when it was used as a school and girls' dormitory concurrently.

The widest land parcels in Hotel Duta Indonesia was from the land of Reinier de Klerk which covers 30,000 sq m. Before serving as general governor, Rainier de Klerk held various favorable positions in the Company (VOC) that made him rich. He was an avid luxury. His property included several houses with gardens. Among these were the ex National Archives in Gajah Mada Street.

The land in the north Moenswijk was owned de Klerk when he was serving as a member of the Raad van Indie in the year 1761. In the year 1774 there was a mansion with a rear porch, a kitchen, a room for the slaves (when de Klerk died there were 200 slaves in his inheritance), stables, carriage house and two coachman houses.

De Klerk only owned this house for six years. In 1774 the house was sold for 2000 ringgit to C.Postmans, an expert on drugs. He just lived in it for 4 years. The new owners, a child of GJ. van der Parra had occupied it for 20 years. After experiencing several times changed owners again, in 1824 the house was bought by the government of D.J.Papet to be a girls' boarding , as it happened with Moenswijk eight years earlier.

 

Reiner de Klerk
Reiner de Klerk