Skip directly to content

7. Public Buildings

Among the public buildings at Tiger was the town hall, of which square reached until the watter-straat (Tee Street) or Heeren- Straat. And then, the short age Latin School of Batavia. This school was opened in 1642 in the reign of Governor-General Anthony van Diemen, the rector was pastor John Sterthemius and a dozen students. Its façade was in Tiger Canal, but the yard - there was a large playground and a beautiful house for the rector – opened to the back side with a stone gateway to the Crocodile Canal. The organizational structure of the school was replaced in 1656, and in the following year the building was sold for 2600 rijksd. The school building was sold to priest Johannes Roman who not long enjoyed this property because he died in 1658.

The Governor of Batavia Anthony van Diemen (1593 - 1645)
The Governor of Batavia Anthony van Diemen (1593 - 1645)
Topic: